College students and faculty members will join with rock and other professional musicians for a Christmas program at California Baptist University.
“GLORIA, A CBU Christmas” will be performed three times in the Events Center on the Riverside campus. The university is billing the show as “one of the largest Christmas productions on the West Coast,” a news release states.
Shows are Saturday, Dec. 3, at 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 4, at 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $25, but children 6 and younger are free.
The fifth annual show will be presented by the university’s Collinsworth School of Performing Arts. In addition to the professional artists, the performance will feature faculty members and more than 350 music students.
Professional musicians at the shows will include:
- Alan Parsons, a Grammy Award winner, leader of the Alan Parsons Project and a producer/engineer who worked with the Beatles and Pink Floyd.
- Bruce Sledge, a tenor who has performed in opera houses around the globe
- Nathan East, a jazz, rhythm and blues and rock bass player and vocalist
- Vinnie Colaiuta, a Grammy Award winning drummer and member of the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame and the Classic Drummer Hall of Fame
- Paul Jackson Jr., A Grammy recognized guitarist who has worked with Michael Jackson, Phil Collins and Whitney Houston.
Joseph Bolin, dean of the School of Performing Arts, called the show “a gift to the community.”
The goal, Bolin said in the release, is to provide “a Christmas musical experience for the whole family that they can come and enjoy, especially when there’s not too many of those opportunities these days.”
The performance also will highlight the “rich reservoir of talent that God has brought to CBU in this particular area.”
And, he said the show aims to remind the community of “the true meaning and message ofChristmas.”
The university is at 8432 Magnolia Ave., Riverside, off the 91 Freeway.