Thousands of revellers are set to flock to Sydney’s vantage points to ring in the new year on Friday, but police have promised they will be out in force too.
Despite NSW experiencing a dramatic spike in coronavirus cases, the city’s public celebrations will go ahead, with pyrotechnicians putting the finishing touches on the show.
The City of Sydney says it can’t predict how many people will turn out for the display, but five of the six locations it manages are sold out with about 17,000 tickets booked.
Another 87,000 people could attend, with tickets are still being sold for 25 other locations.
Masks are encouraged, unvaccinated people are asked to stay home and tickets for viewing spots are limited, but the escalating outbreak has largely failed to put a dampener on the event, which last year proceeded with crowds banned from the CBD.
Police are determined anti-social behaviour won’t ruin the event either, Deputy Commissioner Mal Lanyon said.
“With 2021 being a challenging year for many people, we want the festivities to be safe and enjoyable for everyone.”
“Police will have zero tolerance for violent or anti-social behaviour.
“Don’t ruin a good night out for yourself or others with foolish behaviour that you will come to regret.”
Officers – both plain-clothed and uniformed – with be watching in the crowds, from the air and on the state’s roads, with double demerits remaining in place until January 3.
To minimise crowds, police are also urging people without tickets or reservations in the CBD to stay away.
Police Minister Paul Toole has pleaded with revellers to be respectful and courteous to cops on the job on Friday night.
“(They) won’t be out celebrating with family and friends, but will be working around the clock to keep everyone safe,” he said.